Read an introduction to shallot varieties here.
About Shallot Varieties
Shallots are very similar to onions and come in different shapes and colours, but there are some differences:
- An individual shallot set will mature into a bunch of shallots, where as an individual onion set will produce a single mature onion
- Shallots are typically smaller than onions
- Shallots are not as hardy as onions and are planted slightly later in spring (but this varies on the variety) and are not overwintered
- Shallots may have more disease resistance than onions
- Shallots have a sweet taste that complements salads or hot dishes, and have excellent storage properties to keep through the winter