Pumpkins are a type of winter squash that is a member of the gourd family of plants.
Please see below for a brief introduction to growing pumpkin. For a full description, see this page on how to grow squash.
- April – June
- Planting depth: 2.5 cm
- Planting spacing: 90 cm between plants, 90 cm between rows (minimum distances)
- September – October
- Store in a cool dry place
My suggestions for growing a big pumpkin for Haloween are as follows:
- Start early to give a long growing season
- Protect young pumpkins from any risk of frost
- Dig a big hole where you want to transplant your seedling to and fill with manure and compost
- Water regularly (never let your soil dry out)
- Feed with fertilizer
See pumpkin varieties.